Fisher, E., Hellin, J., Greatrex, H., & Jensen, N. (2018). Index insurance and climate risk management: addressing social equity. Development Policy Review.
Jensen, N. D., Mude, A. G., & Barrett, C. B. (2018). How basis risk and spatiotemporal adverse selection influence demand for index insurance: Evidence from northern Kenya. Food Policy, 74, 172-198.
Johnson, L., Wandera, B., Jensen, N., & Banerjee, R. (2018). Competing Expectations in an Index-Based Livestock Insurance Project. The Journal of Development Studies, 1-19.
Kahiu, M. N., & Hanan, N. P. (2018). Estimation of Woody and Herbaceous Leaf Area Index in Sub-Saharan Africa Using MODIS Data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123(1), 3-17.
Liao, C., Clark, P., & DeGloria, S. (2018). Bush Encroachment Dynamics and Rangeland Management Implications in the Horn of Africa. Ecology and Evolution (in press).
Liao, C., Clark, P. E., Shibia, M., & DeGloria, S. D. (2018). Spatiotemporal dynamics of cattle behavior and resource selection patterns on East African rangelands: evidence from GPS-tracking. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 32(7), 1523-1540.
Liao, C. (2018). Quantifying Multi-Scale Pastoral Mobility: Developing A Metrics System and Using GPS-Tracking Data for Evaluation. Journal of Arid Environments, 153, 88-97.
Liao, C., & Clark, P. (2018). Rangeland Vegetation Diversity and Transition Pathways under Indigenous Pastoralist Management Regimes in Southern Ethiopia. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 215, 105-113.
Liao, C. (2018). Modeling Herding Decision-Making in the Extensive Grazing System in Southern Ethiopia. Annals of American Association of Geographers, 108 (1): 260-276.
Takahashi, K., Barrett, C. B., & Ikegami, M. (2017). Does index insurance crowd in or crowd out informal risk sharing? Evidence from rural Ethiopia. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, (forthcoming).
Bageant, E. R., & Barrett, C. B. (2017). Are There Gender Differences in Demand for Index-Based Livestock Insurance?. The Journal of Development Studies, 53(6), 932-952.
Bauer, J. M., & Mburu, S. (2017). Effects of drought on child health in Marsabit District, Northern Kenya. Economics & Human Biology, 24, 74-79.
Bauer, J.M.& Mburu, S. (2017). Effects of drought on child health in Marsabit District, Northern Kenya. Economics & Human Biology, Vol.24, pp.74–79.
Liao, C., Clark, P., DeGloria, S., & Barrett, C. (2017). Complexity in the Spatial Utilization of Rangelands: Pastoral Mobility in Borana, Ethiopia. Applied Geography, 86, 208-219.
Liao, C., & Fei, D. (2017). Pastoralist Adaptation Practices under Non-Governmental Development Interventions in Southern Ethiopia. The Rangeland Journal, 39 (2): 189-200.
Jensen, N., & Barrett, C. (2017). Agricultural Index Insurance for Development. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 39(2), 199-219.
Jensen, N. D., Barrett, C. B., & Mude, A. G. (2017). Cash transfers and index insurance: A comparative impact analysis from northern Kenya. Journal of Development Economics, 129, 14-28.
Jensen, N., Ikegami, M., & Mude, A. (2017). Integrating social protection strategies for improved impact: A comparative evaluation of cash transfers and index insurance in Kenya. The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance-Issues and Practice, 42(4), 675-707.
Mburu, S. (2017). Effects of livestock herd migration on child schooling in Marsabit District, Kenya. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 47(4), 545-560.
Janzen, S. A., Jensen, N. D., & Mude, A. G. (2016). Targeted social protection in a pastoralist economy: case study from Kenya. Revue Scientifique et Technique-Office International des Epizooties, 35(2), 587-596.
Jensen, N. D., Barrett, C. B., & Mude, A. G. (2016). Index insurance quality and basis risk: evidence from northern Kenya. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 98(5), 1450-1469.
Liao, C., Ruelle, M., & Kassam, K-A. (2016). Indigenous Ecological Knowledge as the Basis for Adaptation to Rangeland Vegetation Regime Shifts: Evidence from Pastoralist Communities in the Horn of Africa. Journal of Environmental Management, 182 (2016): 70-79.
Liao, C., & Fei, D. (2016). Resilience of What to What: Evidence from Pastoral Contexts in East Africa and Central Asia. Resilience: International Policies, Practices and Discourses, 4 (1): 14-29.
Mburu, S., Otterbach, S., Sousa-Poza, A., & Mude, A. (2017). Income and asset poverty among pastoralists in northern Kenya. The Journal of Development Studies, 53(6), 971-986.
Pelletier B, Hickey G, Bothi K, & Mude, A. (2016). Linking Rural Livelihood Resilience and Food Security: an International Challenge. Food Security, 8: 469.
Takahashi, K., Ikegami, M., Sheahan, M., & Barrett, C. B. (2016). Experimental evidence on the drivers of index-based livestock insurance demand in Southern Ethiopia. World Development, 78, 324-340.
Upton, J. B., Cissé, J. D., & Barrett, C. B. (2016). Food security as resilience: reconciling definition and measurement. Agricultural Economics, 47(S1), 135-147.
Vrieling A, Meroni M, Mude A, Chantarat S, Ummenhofer C, & de Bie Kees. (2016). Early Assessment of Seasonal Forage Availability for Mitigating the Impact of Drought of East Africa Pastoralists. Remote Sensing of Environment, 174: 44-55
Woodard, J. D., Shee, A., & Mude, A. (2016). A Spatial Econometric Approach to Designing and Rating Scalable Index Insurance in the Presence of Missing Data. Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance Issues and Practice, April, Volume 41, Issue 2, pp 259–279.
Shee, A., Turvey, C. G., & Woodard, J. (2015). A field study for assessing risk-contingent credit for Kenyan pastoralists and dairy farmers. Agricultural Finance Review, 75(3), 330-348.
De Leeuw, J., Vrieling, A., Shee, A., Atzberger, C., Hadgu, K. M., Biradar, C. M., … & Turvey, C. (2014). The potential and uptake of remote sensing in insurance: A review. Remote Sensing, 6(11), 10888-10912.
Vrieling, A., Meroni, M., Shee, A., Mude, A. G., Woodard, J., de Bie, C. K., & Rembold, F. (2014). Historical extension of operational NDVI products for livestock insurance in Kenya. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 28, 238-251.
Chantarat, S., Mude, A. G., Barrett, C. B., & Carter, M. R. (2013). Designing index‐based livestock insurance for managing asset risk in northern Kenya. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 80(1), 205-237.
Lybbert, T. J., Galarza, F. B., McPeak, J., Barrett, C. B., Boucher, S. R., Carter, M. R., … & Mude, A. (2010). Dynamic field experiments in development economics: Risk valuation in Morocco, Kenya, and Peru. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 39(2), 176-192.
McPeak, J., Chantarat, S., & Mude, A. (2010). Explaining index-based livestock insurance to pastoralists. Agricultural Finance Review, 70(3), 333-352.
- Gesare, A., Chelanga, P., Banerjee, R. (2017). “Feasibility of establishing a market information system in the Horn of Africa: Insights from northern Kenya. ” ILRI Research Brief No. 79. pdf
- Takahashi, K., M. Ikegami, M. Sheahan, and C. B. Barrett (2017) “Drivers of demand for index-based livestock insurance in southern Ethiopia.” ILRI Research Brief No. 73. pdf
- Mburu, Samuel, Johnson, Leigh, Mude, A. (2015). “Integrating index-based livestock insurance with community savings and loan groups in northern Kenya.” ILRI Research Brief No. 60. pdf
- Wandera, Brenda (2015). “Gamification and mLearning in the Index-Based Livestock Insurance project.” ILRI Capacity Development Brief 4. pdf
- Dror, Iddo (2015). “Capacity development in the Index-Based Livestock Insurance project.” ILRI Capacity Development Brief 6. pdf
- Wandera, Brenda, Kang’ethe, Edwin and Davies, Bryn (2015). “Mobile technology-driven capacity development: Lessons from the mNutrition and IBLI projects.” ILRI Capacity Development Brief 3. pdf
- Jensen, Nathan, Barrett, Chris, Mude, A. (2015). “Index-based Insurance: Lottery ticket or insurance?” ILRI Research Brief No. 53. pdf
- Jensen, N., Barrett, C. and Mude, A. (2015). “The favourable impacts of Index-Based Livestock Insurance: Evaluation results from Ethiopia and Kenya.” ILRI Research Brief No. 52. pdf
- Chelang’a, P.K., Banerjee, R., Mude, A. (2015). “Index-Based Livestock Insurance (IBLI) Lessons in Extension and Outreach: The Case of Wajir County.” ILRI Research Brief No. 39. pdf
- Mude, Andrew (2014). “East African Herders Insure Against Drought: An Impact Narrative from Kenya and Ethiopia.” ILRI Research Brief No. 23. pdf
- Dror, I., Maheshwari, S., Mude, A.G. (2014). “Using satellite data to insure camels, cows, sheep and goats: IBLI and the development of the world’s first insurance for African pastoralists.” pdf
- Carter, M. and Jansen S. (2012). “Coping with Drought: Assessing the Impacts of Livestock Insurance in Kenya”. I4 Brief no. 2012 – 01, March. pdf
- Carter, M., Long E., Mude A. (2011) “The IBLI Color Legend: Translating Index Based Mortality Predictions Into Meaningful Signals”. I4 Brief no. 2011- 02, July. pdf
- Chantarat S, Barrett C.B and Mude A.G, (2010). “Developing Index Based Livestock Insurance for Managing Livestock Asset Risks in Northern Kenya.” Leap Focus 7, March. pdf
- Mude, Andrew G., Christopher B. Barrett, Michael R. Carter, Sommarat Chantarat, Munenobu Ikegami and John G. McPeak, “Project Summary: Index Based Livestock Insurance For Northern Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands: The Marsabit Pilot,” January 2010. pdf
- Carter, M. R. (2009). “Intelligent Design of Index Insurance for Smallholder Farmers and Pastoralists.” IFPRI Focus 17, Brief 6, December. pdf
- Barrett, C. B., Carter M. R., Chantarat S., McPeak J. and Mude A. G. (2008). “Altering Poverty Dynamics with Index Insurance: Northern Kenya’s HSNP.” pdf
- Carter, M. R., Barrett C. B., Boucher C., Chantarat S., Galarza S., McPeak J., Mude A. G. and Trivelli C. (2008) “Insuring the Never Before Insured: Explaining Index Insurance Through Financial Education Games.” pdf
- Mburu, S. (2016). “Incomes and Asset Poverty Dynamics and Child Health among Pastoralists in Northern Kenya” University of Hohenheim, pdf
- Jensen, Nathaniel Duane (2014). “Basis Risk, Uptakes and Impacts of Index Based Livestock Insurance in Northern Kenya” Cornell University, August. pdf
Bageant, Elizabeth R. (2014). “Gender Differences in Demand for Index-Based Livestock Insurance” Cornell University, August. pdf
- Janzen, Sarah Ann (2013). “Insuring Against a Poverty Trap” University of California, Davis, link
- Chantarat, Sommarat (2009). “Pro-Poor Risk Management: Essays on the Economics of Index Based Risk Transfer Products.” Cornell University, August. pdf
Conference Proceedings and Reports
- Mills, C. J., Jensen, N. D., Barrett, C. B. and Mude, A. G. (2016) “Characterization for index based livestock insurance.” ILRI Research Report 39. pdf
- Mude, A., Chantarat, S., Barrett, C., Carter, M., Ikegami, M. and McPeak, J. (2011) “Insuring Against Drought-Related Livestock Mortality: Piloting Index-Based Livestock Insurance in Northern Kenya” in Towards Priority Actions for Market Development for African Farmers: Proceedings of an International Conference. 13-15 May 2009, Nairobi, Kenya. AGRA and ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya: 175-188. pdf
- Takahashi, K., C. B. Barrett, and M. Ikegami (2017) “Does Index Insurance Crowd In or Crowd Out Informal Risk Sharing? Evidence from Rural Ethiopia” pdf
- Ikeggami, M., M. R. Carter, C. B. Barrett, and S. Janzen (2017) “Poverty Traps and the Social Protection Paradox” pdf
- Carter, Michael R., Sarah A. Janzen, and Quentin Stoeffler (2016) “Can Insurance Help Manage Climate Risk and Food Insecurity? Evidence from the Pastoral Regions of East Africa.” pdf
- Cissé, Jennifer Denno and Christopher B. Barrett (2016) “Estimating Development Resilience: A Conditional Moments-Based Approach,” Working Paper Series No. 236. African Development Bank, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. pdf
- Chantarat, Sommarat, Andrew G. Mude, Christopher B. Barrett and Calum G. Turvey, (2016) “Welfare Impacts of Index Insurance in the Presence of a Poverty Trap,” pdf
- Janzen, S., M. R. Carter, M. Ikegami (2015). “Asset Insurance Markets and Chronic Poverty” presented at NEUDC 2012, 2012 AAEA Annual Meeting, the Pacific Development Conference 2012, the 7th International Microinsurance Conference, and the I4 Technical Meeting 2011. pdf
- Carter, M.R. and Sarah Janzen (2015). “Social Protection in the Face of Climate Change: Targeting Principles and Financing Mechanisms,” World Bank Policy Research Paper WPS7476. pdf
- Hirfrfot, Kibrom, Christopher B. Barrett, Erin Lentz, and Birhanu Taddesse (2014). “The Subjective Well-being Effects of Imperfect Insurance that Doesn’t Payout.” pdf
Toth, Russell, Chris Barrett, Richard Bernstein, Patrick Clark, Carla Gomes, Shibia Mohamed, Andrew Mude, and Birhanu Taddesse. August 2014. “Environmental Spillovers of Index-Based Livestock Insurance.” pdf
- Jensen, Nathaniel D., Megan Sheahan, Christopher B. Barrett, and Andrew G. Mude (2014). “Hunger Safety Net Program (HSNP) and Index-Based Livestock Insurance (IBLI) Baseline Comparison.” pdf
- Janzen, Sarah A. and Michael R. Carter (2013). “After the Drought: The Impact of Microinsurance on Consumption Smoothing and Asset Protection.” NBER Working Paper No. 19702. link
- Ikegami, M., C. B. Barrett, and S. Chantarat (2012). ”Dynamic Effects of Index Based Livestock Insurance on Household Intertemporal Behavior and Welfare” working paper, presented at Africa Growth Forum “Enhancing Agricultural Productivity for Shared Growth in Africa” at Brookings Institute in 2011, at University of California-Davis in 2011, “Hakone Conference on Empirical Micro Development Economics” at GRIPS, Tokyo in 2011, and “Research Conference on Microinsurance” at University of Twente in 2012. pdf
- Chantarat, Sommarat, Andrew G. Mude and Christopher B. Barrett, (2009) “Willingness to Pay for Index Based Livestock Insurance: Results From A Field Experiment In Northern Kenya,” September 2009. pdf